bestkinky

Lions stars will know where they stand with me, says Lomas

© Actionplus
© Actionplus

STEVE Lomas has promised to introduce a straight-talking style of management to Millwall so that his players always know where they stand with him.

One criticism of former boss Kenny Jackett was that members of the Lions squad were often unsure whether they were in favour or not – and would only find out if they were playing in games at the last minute.

But Lomas says there will be no grey areas with him in charge. He said: "It's only been six years since I retired so I know what the lads are going through. You've got to be different as a manager but I'm pretty straightforward still.

"Players appreciate honesty and knowing where they're at. You have to tell them how it is. As a player, there's nothing worse than when a manager doesn't really communicate.

"There aren't going to be any problems with the players. If they want to come and speak to me, that's fine. That's the right way to do things. But they must not cross over the line – because then there's no way back for them.

"Equally, a manager is there to help his players because it's all about them. The players and the fans are the two most important aspects of the club – if you don't have them, you've got nothing. I'm there to help them achieve their maximum and I'll be demanding the best."

38 thoughts on “Lions stars will know where they stand with me, says Lomas

• June 11, 2013 at 07:42

Well said SL, im looking forward to see what you can get out of them this season.

COTL!!!! is it to early to say in steve we trust....

• June 11, 2013 at 08:14

Well shaggy is saying all the right things i really hope he gets the backing of the fans Look forward to Sse what the pre season brings and watching the transfer window! i for one think this guy is going to be good, if im wrong, which aint i will run down the OKR naked!! COYL

• June 11, 2013 at 09:14

@Strood Lion:
      Apparently Steven Reid has been released by WBA and is talking to Championship clubs. I know he's 31 but i would have him back marshaling our midfield in a heart beat.

• June 11, 2013 at 09:17

@Windy: totally agree on that one mate

• June 11, 2013 at 09:34

@Strood Lion: I fully agree as well, nothing wrong with 30 year old players as long as they were class and still have something to offer ie Steven Reid, Steve Claridge (obviously not now), Kevin Phillips etc. Most 30 yo midfielders would probably be more mobile than LT anyway.

• June 11, 2013 at 10:53

@Sealion: I'd have reidy back in a heart beat. He's been good for WBA and IMHO we can do with another right back.

• June 11, 2013 at 12:16

@luke

Mate u r already having a dig at dunney and he ain't kicked a ball. Last season he produced some of his best form an all.

• June 11, 2013 at 20:38

Agreed. Forget his age, if he can consolidate our Championship position then he might give our current midfield the royal kick up the a*** it so badly needs.@Windy:

• June 11, 2013 at 08:16

I'd say far too early, mfc1rob, but he's clearly his own man & that's a good thing for the squad. I feel more confident about this season than I did at the end of the last. We've not kicked a ball yet under SL and I just hope his playing game is as a good as his talking game cos he's certainly saying the right things as far as I'm concerned. COYL.

• June 11, 2013 at 08:48

Well SL you are making all the right noises, and you will need to be honest with certain players on last terms preformances and a bit of your Northern ireland straight talking will hopefully come as a shock for certain players who thought they could swan around and just take the money last season.

lets hope you can get the right ones on board with what you aim is for the club and those that dont but into it ship them out a.s.a.p. Have not heard about any other members of your back room team yet, or are you going to stay with Kennys team as it dont look like he is taking them, but its early days people are still away.
    Good luck with what you want to do and lets all get behind him as he is the manager of our team now and lets hope we have a team that does not roll over as they did towards the end of last season.

• June 11, 2013 at 08:49

The more I hear the more I like what this bloke says. There will be no attention paid to the WHU talking from me until the time we are either p*** poor or looking like relegation material. I like managers who can motivate seemingly average players to play above their station and I like the "we are in it together" attitude, skill and class obviously gets results but there is also a lot to be said for this attitude.

• June 11, 2013 at 09:09

It looks as though he is just carrying his playing style into his managerial career. Taking away any WHU or previous incarnations, he was a very honest, hardworking midfielder that we all would of loved at the den . Lets just hope that its not just all p*** and wind that we have heard from previous managers and this bloke has some substance. He has already shown he has cojonies by taking the job, which for me is admirable.....

• June 11, 2013 at 09:10

I suspect players like Trotter, N'Guessian et al will 'crumble' under this style of management?

• June 11, 2013 at 09:20

@Wall Warbler: well if they do mate they can f*** off we need 100% from these guys and we dont get that out of trotter and n guesen, whilst we do get 100% from Jack Smith but he is pretty s***!!

• June 11, 2013 at 09:19

I didn't know our team had any 'stars'.

• June 11, 2013 at 09:23

New broom sweeps clean.

• June 11, 2013 at 09:51

Lots of the right rhetoric but talk is cheap - let's see what the Lomas effect is before coming over all wobbly at the knees. I seem to recall Jimmy Nichol saying David Sinclair was a hard man and Jason Dair a footballer amongst many other managerial b***** that we've been subjected to over the years.

I hope he does well but I want to see what he can do before I declare him the new Messiah

• June 11, 2013 at 12:26

Sinclair was over 15 years ago. no comparison in my eyes.

As for the new messiah, i think people (myself included) are just happy with the affirmation of Millwall principles thats all.

I'm not expecting much results wise with Lomas - but i am now in terms of players committent and effort

• June 11, 2013 at 20:51

Uncle Les, really, too much negativity. Have some faith and believe that we have turned the corner. I recently proposed that under Jackett's tenure the dressing room had been lost, players were played out of position, truly awful players brought in to try and plug gaps that they were never capable of from the outset let alone whilst playing. An ex manager who diddled and daddled with formations and now we hear 'tantrums' in the dressing room towards the end. An away game at Derby that at 3pm that day we HAD to win and we lost. Enough. I've seen some great Millwall teams over the years and my personal belief is that the next one is around the corner. You may be waiting in the wings to see what's going to happen pertaining to signings and management skills and I respect that. For me, it's already a lot better than it was 6 weeks ago. Believe in the force Les with all your heart because that's where passion originates. The future is going to be a revelation. Wait and see.
      @Old_Les:

• June 11, 2013 at 10:34

I can see SL will not tolerate any "hangers on" feigned injuries or half heartedness. However no doubt he will back his players and give them confidence. Also the team must have belief and confidence in the manager it is a two way thing. Bruce Rioch completely lost the trust of his players which probably cost him his job. It would be great if Steven Reid did return he would bring a lot of experience with him.

• June 11, 2013 at 10:46

Well a lot of right noise coming from SL certainly got good PR skills.
    Enough of that already. Fridays the official announcement so I'm sure we'll be reading all the interviews again. South london press today are saying he has lined up laferty and Abeid who has been at Newcastle a couple yrs, SL had him on loan at SJ last season. I believe he's been let go so wouldn't exactly break the bank either. He's a 20 yr old attacking midfielder whos played for France at every level to u21s
    But opted to play for Algeria.
    SL also goes on to say its ok and exciting drafting up a wish list but its another thing getting all your targets. He also mentions about the team break stating that it maybe too short notice to find somewhere abroad as this is something usually planned in December.
    As mentioned he's making all the right noises.
    Lets see what happens.

• June 11, 2013 at 10:51

@lukesmithmfc: wasnt Bouazza Algerian? hope Abeid is better than that t***!!

• June 11, 2013 at 15:10

@lukesmithmfc:
          Bouazza was a good winger - just had the wrong attitude - as for Algeria wasnt that long ago they held England to a draw in a major tournement!

• June 11, 2013 at 11:23

Saying the right things in the right places but see what he can do freshing up attitudes at the den, just hope it's not a dull boring tempo thing, two players out of contract Kevin Davies and Steven Reid ... If they had a cheap enough contacts ? Can't see us getting any players from England as many teams will be playing cards close to there chest, it was close last year !!

• June 11, 2013 at 12:20

Lomas is on record as saying he's already got a wish list. On that basis I would think that he's already made inroads into signings. Don't expect to see anything concrete until after Friday as he's not technically Millwall's manager until then.
      @Bush:

• June 11, 2013 at 13:39

we need %100 players at millwall,not players that hide if things are not going their way or just dont feel like it.so trotter beware because iv a funny feeling sl is not going to stand for it.
    and thats judging him on his playing days and i think he will bring his attitude as a player into his managment style.

so give support to the man i will.

• June 11, 2013 at 14:10

@bonnie1272
    Mate I didn't say anything against Alan dunne in my post and I was one of the first to say how good he was performing back end of last season.
    I simply made the point that we can do with another right back wether that's a starter or cover for dunne is up to SL.
    Your on everything I say ain't ya? Lol

• June 11, 2013 at 15:11

@lukesmithmfc:

If it wasnt for Adam Smith last season we wouldn't have seen those performances from Dunney - he needs proper competition!!

• June 11, 2013 at 17:20

@TheBermondseyBomber: exactly my point berm. And reidy being a right back would be just what we need.

• June 11, 2013 at 15:54

@lukesmithmfc: I never read what anyone else says. They don't make as much sense. Lol.

It's not personal though mate honest! It's just that I remember what u say as it tends to be eloquently put and reasonably sensible.

Can't disagree but at the moment we still have jack smith as cover for dunney. Surely you would agree that the midfield and attack need to be strengthened before we worry about replacing players who actually put in the effort?

Sorry if it sounded as though I was getting at ya - not meant that way

• June 11, 2013 at 15:59

@bonnie1272: wow now I just sound like a crawler!!

• June 11, 2013 at 17:42

@bonnie1272: oi oi
          incy wincy lol.
          Yeah ofcourse I agree. I have a sneaky feeling that we'll get the middle and strikers sorted with cover for both and then we'll come up short at the back through injuries and suspensions.
          That'll be typical wall.
          Thanks for comments Bonn and I didn't really take the other post personal.
          Cheers ears ; )

• June 11, 2013 at 21:08

IMHO Dunne is one of the worst right backs in the Championship. He got motivated with the competition last season and improved but as a stand alone right back he's lacking.
      @lukesmithmfc:

• June 12, 2013 at 23:29

@NICKOLA: it's not that I don't agree with both yours and Luke's opinions, it's just that I think we can get away without worrying about that position immediately. Surely we need to get the midfield and attack sorted first, and then we can turn our attention to defence.

Normally I would suggest building from the back but last year, especially after December, we created nothing and worse still, when we did create we converted nothing. Therefore conceeding one goal meant that nine times out of ten we lost.

If we can get a goal or two it will take pressure off of the back four because they will be able to make the odd mistake - a luxury that was sorely missing last year, whether dunney or smith was playing.

• June 11, 2013 at 19:18

I hope SL can get rid of some of the deadwood still under contract otherwise his hands will be tied to a certain extent in signing new players. For example, on the striker front we have Easter, Keogh, Marquis and N'Guessan. Of these only Keogh at his best is worth keeping and why we signed Easter after Jackett had gone is beyond me. Also, not sure what the situation is with Batt. Surely we won't keep him now as well? They will all inflate the wages bill when SL signs any new strikers because all N'Guessan in particular will do is see out his contract.

• June 12, 2013 at 19:04

Lomas talks a good fight, let's hope he fights a good fight.

After we have win the premier league, the champions league and the FA cup then you might hear the fans sing....ONE STEVIE LOMAS!!!!

• June 13, 2013 at 00:26

@Big Millwall: he was certainly a fighter as a player i cant see him changing as a manager.