bestkinky

Lomas planning Millwall training camp during pre-season

© Actionplus
© Actionplus

NEW Millwall boss Steve Lomas wants to take his players to an overseas training camp during pre-season to strengthen team spirit.

Lomas is planning a week-long break in July for his squad, most likely somewhere in Europe, so that they can undertake some warm-weather training and play in practice matches.

Former manager Kenny Jackett had not been planning a trip abroad prior to his resignation.

Lomas said: "We are trying to find somewhere to get away for five or six days so we can get to know each other. It will be a chance for the players to learn what I'm all about and for me to learn about them.

"I am very big on team spirit – I am all for the lads going to play golf together and stuff like that. When players are friendly they look after each other. If you can get that, it certainly creates harmony in the dressing room."

Lomas has also admitted that the prospect of taking over at The Den was an irresistible one – even though it meant leaving St Johnstone, where he had become popular during his 18-month tenure.

"Once Millwall made it be known that they wanted me, there wasn't much of decision to be made," he said. "I spoke with the chairman and Andy Ambler and there were no issues whatsoever. That was it.

"I had to be respectful of St Johnstone because they gave me my opportunity – although I like to think that I repaid them. Everything was done professionally.

"It was difficult to leave on one hand because the lads up there were a great bunch to work with – that's the stuff managers really love, working with the players to make them better, and getting a shift out of them in return.

"Everybody wants to manage as high as they can. I think I've gone about things the right way – I did all of my badges and worked in non-league for 15 months under the glare of the spotlight before moving onto St Johnstone. I feel it's the right time for me to step up."

Buy this week's Southwark News to read a full interview with Steve Lomas. You can save 25% on an online subscription to the paper by clicking here!

39 thoughts on “Lomas planning Millwall training camp during pre-season

• June 10, 2013 at 14:08

"Buy Thursday's Southwark News or subscribe to the digital edition for a full interview with
    Steve Lomas"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????!!!!!!!
    Could have sworn Aldo said this site wasn't going to go behind a paywall, but I'm afraid that statement amounts to pretty much the same thing.
    I've always been a big fan of this site, but now it seems we're going to be fobbed off with snippets of interviews and news stories that have already appeared in the paper.
    A bizarre approach seeing most other newspapers have, all be it belatedy, woken up to the fact that people want to access information immediately, not when papers are able t print it.

• June 10, 2013 at 14:10

@Lonz: NewsAtDen rarely provided full-length feature interviews. Can't exactly complain about 'losing' something you never had. And for instance, the Berylson interview re: Lomas was exclusive to the site. So there's a balance.

• June 10, 2013 at 15:31

@Alex Aldridge:
        Mmmm. The fact you talk about 'balance' proves my point. Before the tie up with the Southwark News there was no need for a balancing act, what you got went up here when you got it!!!
        You broke down 'full length feature interviews' into bite size chunks and the site became essential reading for anyone who wanted to stay bang up to date with what was going on at the club.
        Personally, I think you - and the Southwark News - would have been much better off putting News At Den behind a paywall.
        People don't like paying for something they used to get free - I'm sure the survey you did last year told you that - but I'm sure people would have come round to the idea once they realised it was the only way they were going to continue to get the outstanding service you have been providing.
        Like many Millwall fans I now live outside the borough and I'd much rather pay for News At Den than the Southwark News, most of which I'm not remotely interested in.
        As for the Berylson interview, the Southwark News reported last Thursday that Lomas was set to get the job and when his appointment was confirmed the following day Berylson was widely quoted, so there wasn't much point in you holding that interview back for another six days.
        In a way you've made a rod for your own back by producing such a great website - here's hoping it doesn't become a watered down version of its former self as you try and get people to sign up to the Southwark News.

• June 10, 2013 at 16:31

@Lonz: The balance is keeping both readerships happy. What can't happen is for someone to pick up the Southwark News and feel like they've just wasted 40p, because it's all online for free. Likewise, NAD readers want to be kept informed 24/7, so the Berylson + Sheringham interviews, for instance, serve that purpose. Bear in mind as well that Lomas' doesn't officially meet the press until Friday, by which point there will be lots of quotes from him already on NAD.

• June 10, 2013 at 16:35

@Alex Aldridge: i worry about the euro / pound forex rate.

• June 10, 2013 at 17:32

@Alex Aldridge: Well good luck with trying to square that circle - and thanks for all your efforts with News At Den, I really hope it continues to develop and provide the quantity and quality of info Millwall fans want - particularly as the official site is appalling (due to the provider rather than the people who work on it!!!) COYL!!!

• June 11, 2013 at 01:04

I sincerely hope I'm not going to start getting e-mails from the Southwark News because that would mean you've given it to them.
            @Alex Aldridge:

• June 10, 2013 at 14:08

Every thing I hear about this guy makes me feel happier for the club. Lets hope his deeds can match his words.

• June 10, 2013 at 14:34

@Sealion:
      Spot on Sealion. If Trotter goes hope somebody remembers to tell him he's on a break. He won't be able to tell the difference between that and a competative game

• June 10, 2013 at 14:31

Lomas sounds the part, he might even get Trotter to put a shift in!???

• June 10, 2013 at 14:38

@Big Millwall: He might be good but is he that good ? lol.
      Will be interesting though to see how the players respond especially Trotts.

• June 11, 2013 at 08:18

@Sealion:

Hahaha!!

It will be interesting sealion, I'm going to take rough guess and say some of the players won't like working for their money!.

• June 10, 2013 at 15:06

Trotters response is key, if he can get that lump motoring we'll have the championships equivelant of Ya Ya Toure...... Oh life is soooo rosey

• June 10, 2013 at 15:18

It was evident after Wood snubbed us that our team spirit went down the toilet & was well & truly flushed. Trotter was playing well & the whole team's exuberance lifted the fans as well but then Wood p*****-off & we were on the downhill slalom without skis. It's obvious that Lomas knows his mind and furthermore knows what's required to lift the club, fans & all, to that higher level of self-belief & confidence. I think the JB & the board have appointed the right man. Onwards & upwards, Lions.

• June 10, 2013 at 15:45

Its not just that he knows his mind and what is required at the club, he needs backing from the board we dont know what has been disscused with him but I would think what ever they said to him to get him to come he thinks he has got a chance to do something with us.
    Regarding Wood & Trotter the latter will need to put a shift in if he wants to be in the side as it wont be like when he was KJ favorite and Mr Wood will have the pleasure of coming to the Den as an opposition player who left us after saying he wanted to stay, I am sure we can let him know how we feel about they way he treated Millwall.

• June 10, 2013 at 15:49

It was interesting what Berlylson said in SLP on Friday. Apparently there were 'tantrums in the dressing room' and Jackett was unhappy with the 'lack of support' for the Blackburn home match. Considering the rubbish we were being served up, I think 8.6k on a week night is not too bad, so maybe Beryson is talking about lack of support from players. Looks like he lost the dressing room big time.

• June 10, 2013 at 15:57

Let em all come down to the Den. We'll only 'ave to beat them again. Everybody knows us .We are MILLWALL.

• June 10, 2013 at 16:35

New manager taking the boys the away for a while to get to know eachother is a fantastic idea. I'm looking forward to next season already. I wonder if Lomas can change Trotter into a "runner" or even "sprinter" ! 🙂

• June 10, 2013 at 17:07

@Block 8: what, you don't like the paralympian that he is?

• June 10, 2013 at 18:37

@lukesmithmfc: A bone idle , casual to say the least paralympian ! lol

• June 10, 2013 at 22:43

@Block 8: haha
          Been a proper selfish lazy c*** ain't he
          I wouldn't sell him just yet though as we don't know who or what lomas will bring in and we wouldn't get a mill for him at the minute.

• June 10, 2013 at 17:40

Hopefully someone will have told Lomas about what turned out to be Jackett's parting shot at the Player Of The Year Dinner!!!!!
    I seem to remember he said he had a lot of respect for some , but warned their needed to be a sea change in attitude at the training ground and in the dressing room.
    A new manager, a handful of new signings and a team bonding trip somewhere nice will probably help, but I'm just re-reading Eamon Dunphy's outstanding book Only A Game about his time at Millwall in which he admits that during pre-season everyone gets on, it's when the first team sheet goes up that things can start to fall apart!!!!!!!!

• June 10, 2013 at 18:18

@Lonz: Getting rid of Tony Craig and Darren Ward, two of the club's leaders, will have had a detrimental effect in the dressing room, especially with Robinson out injured.

• June 11, 2013 at 00:58

Lonz, I've read that book and it was a very good insight into pre-season.
      Nowadays however, there aren't 14 players in the first team squad and rotation is an acceptable facet of a footballer's life. I've stated on here that in my opinion Lomas is going to be a breath of freash air. Is he going to immediately weed out all the crap ? No. He's going to take stock and have a good look at what we've got. What I do hope, is that what he considers crap is the same as me. That won't be a delicate process and clubs such as Millwall don't have the luxury of having a reserve team that can usually defeat a Championship first team as we see in the Carling Cup for example from Premiership teams. Such is the void. I do think that he'll bring in 5-6 players very soon and then slowly, but surely, introduce others to replace what I'm convinced are players currently wearing a first team Millwall shirt that are going to be on their way.
      It gets tougher every year as we do punch above our weight but I'm full of optimism and belief.
      I can't wait for the season to start.
      @Lonz:

• June 10, 2013 at 17:48

All these people feeling upbeat with Steve Lomas, we all know the squad needs to be improved because what we have is not good enough overall. I wonder if you will all still be so upbeat if we start this season without some decent strikers. My judgement on the appointment is still the same 'not sure its a good move'. We are being told by a few he will win us all over, his signings are going to be massive to do that. In the meantime we wait to see what comes through the door.

• June 10, 2013 at 18:40

When do we think it's a fair time to judge Lomas ? after 6 months ? after 4 or 5 signings? This season will be the honeymoon period , probably wont see a Lomas team for 12-18 months in my opinion.

• June 11, 2013 at 01:01

Don't agree.
      If he's going to bring in at least 5 players I'm sure their not going to be in the reserves and that's half the first team. His team will be a reflection of him soon enough and Jackett can take his 'well rounded' signings to the midlands and good riddance.
      @Block 8:

• June 10, 2013 at 19:24

I'm amazed.

First no one wanted the ginger vermin lover and everyone was throwing back their season tickets. Remember Mr Smith?

Now we have heard a couple of positive quotes and everyone is telling me this is the best appointment since sliced bread.

I'll reserve judgement - exactly how long that will take is the $64000 question.

• June 10, 2013 at 22:46

@bonnie1272: yeah I do remember
      but do you remember I came back and said after the negatives I'll try and give some positives ?

• June 10, 2013 at 23:30

@lukesmithmfc: but that would be like letting you off mate. Lol

• June 10, 2013 at 19:31

Oh and by the way - do we have spare dough then for a jolly up abroad?

I thought we were proper skint.

Suppose the 50grand or so it would cost the club could be used to pay someone like hulse for three weeks!

• June 10, 2013 at 23:34

Excellent point, you beat me to it. Kenny wasn't planning for this so they've either made it available for the new boy or KJ was a tight a***.

• June 10, 2013 at 23:42

@Swanny: to be fair I think the board will make more available for a new manager than they would have done for KJ. But another point could be and I hope I am wrong here, but SL could be looking at his budget and thinking he has a small fortune to play with compared to what he would have had at St Johnstone.
        I sincerely hope, if this is the case, that he knows how to negotiate with "championship" agents!

• June 10, 2013 at 19:40

If SL can manage to bring out the best in all his squad then there is hope, no doubt there are talented players at Millwall, including Trotter who when he is at his best is formidable. Hopefully SL will bring in some new blood and motivate his players. I am sure he knows what he wants, if he gets it is another matter. Time will tell. In the mean time it is no good speculating give the new manager some encouragement and the team as well.

• June 10, 2013 at 20:05

Block 8 - I think you are right in saying we won't see a Steve Lomas team for 12 to 18 months because there are a lot of non Championship standard players in the squad who are still under contract for at least another season. It will only be when he gradually replaces these with the players he wants that we will see a team he has built.

• June 10, 2013 at 20:26

@denslions: I think we'll see a free players released on frees this summer

• June 10, 2013 at 20:27

@junkmale: I mean a 'few' players, of course ( i knew that second bottle of white lightning was a mistake)

• June 10, 2013 at 20:48

@junkmale: I always find that White Lightning is a must for team bonding!