bestkinky

Millwall offered cut-price deal for former Rangers frontman

© Actionplus
© Actionplus

MILLWALL have been offered a cut-price deal to sign ex-Rangers striker Kyle Lafferty this summer, NewsAtDen understands.

Lafferty has two years left on his contract with Swiss side FC Sion but the 25-year-old, who scored six goals in 30 appearances last season, has been told he is free to leave.

The Lions were made aware of the Northern Ireland international's availability prior to Steve Lomas' appointment as manager, but a source confirmed: "It's something that we may pursue later on."

Lafferty is being moved on after enraging Sion chairman Christian Constantin with his performance in a 5-0 defeat to St Gallen last month.

Constantin hit out at four other players after the game, saying: "I won’t agree to their involvement in the team again. With regards to Lafferty, I accept he has had injuries which have affected him mentally and physically, but I’m still angry with him.

"He will work with our fitness coach because he is no use to us just now."

Lafferty, however, recently insisted he was settled in Switzerland – although admitted he would be open to returning to British football if the opportunity arose.

He said: "I am very proud to be a Sion player. Before joining Rangers I played in the Championship with Burnley and maybe I'll go back to the UK one day, but I feel good here."

55 thoughts on “Millwall offered cut-price deal for former Rangers frontman

• June 9, 2013 at 11:05

No thanks.

• June 9, 2013 at 11:14

If he is of "no use " there what use will he be to Millwall?

• June 9, 2013 at 11:16

Half fit and poor attitude ? Not my cup of tea.

• June 9, 2013 at 11:30

Hate to say I told you so, but I posted this two days ago!!!!! Rangers paid Burnley £3.25m for him when he was 20 and he did pretty well at Ibrox. Lomas knows him well so I wouldn't be worried about any 'attitude' problems and as long as he's over his injury problems I think he'd be a useful addition to the squad.
    He's the right age, has got a point to prove and we need a 'target man' striker to help get the best out of Keogh.

• June 9, 2013 at 11:58

Lonz, Yep I remember you calling that one.
      What I don't get is why we let everyone know what players we're after. Past mistakes seem not to have been learnt. This is not just paper talk, as there's a quote from Millwall acknowledging an interest. I don't know enough about Lafferty to form an opinion but if it's someone Lomas is interested in then maybe he's convinced he can be turned from carbon into a diamond. Either way, we have to put trust in our new manager otherwise what's the point in having him ?
      @Lonz:

• June 9, 2013 at 11:34

Would be a brilliant signing IMO. A very good finisher and a lot better than what we currently have (excluding Keogh at his best). With the right manager he could prove to be an excellent player for Millwall.

• June 9, 2013 at 11:50

With a score rate of 6 in 30 games for Sion and a bad attitude in a 5-0 defeat perhaps, Kenny can get him on loan for Wolves.

• June 9, 2013 at 17:51

@REAL Supporter: what's your honest opinion of fernando Torres? And a certain drogba was absolute s*** in his first season. Sherringham took a couple loans and seasons to really get going
      Some clubs don't fit right with some players.

• June 10, 2013 at 08:53

@lukesmithmfc: Hiya Luke,
        Well, I personally think that Torres was very unlucky to get an injury when he did which affected his confidence and fitness. Initially crap for Chelsea which had a knock-on affect which meant he had a poor World Cup. Plus, the 50mill they paid for him also meant he was/is always going to get abuse from the opposition fans BUT I do like him and at long last is now finding the net.
        Drogba, got to be one of the most complete strikers of all time. Such a shame he had to go down like a sack of spanners every time someone went near him and rolling around like he'd been shot.
        Where we’re concerned, I always remember John McGinley who we signed in the 90-91 I think? From what I can remember he was quite prolific before playing for Millwall. He only scored about 3 or 4 goals in the one season with us. We then promptly sold him to Bolton where he was knocking in about 20 a season. Obviously he knew where the goal was but it just never worked out for us. Only giving him one season never gave him the chance to turn it around.

• June 10, 2013 at 13:33

@REAL Supporter: I remember mcginley very well. Rioch took him Scott Taylor and Aiden Davidson with him to Bolton
          I thought mcginley had more than one season with us though, perhaps your right there.
          See my point was, every striker has a bad season/s. some start on fire like Owen and fowler for instance and some find form later on like Kevin Davis.
          You can bet your life Torres will be banging them in again when he leaves Chelsea, he 's still scored in every major final there is to play in for club and country. As for laferty I don't know I remember him bursting on to the scene with all guns blazing but I've heard fa about him for a couple yrs. not sure he's the answer to be honest and at 500k I'd much prefer us to go for Simeon Jackson and give him an extra couple quid in his pocket. But SL will know him loads and could probably get him back in the shop window at least.

• June 10, 2013 at 15:06

@lukesmithmfc: I think we may have had McGinley on loan the season before but can't be sure.
            Yes, I see what you mean about Torres and I agree he will score loads when he leaves Chelsea. He's a proven goal scorer so he'll put the ball in the net wherever he goes.
            I didn't realise Laferty was up for 500k! I thought he was supposed to be going on the cheap? ;0) Looking at the vid posted on here by 'billyd78' I personally don't really want him but what do I know. I didn't initially want George Graham back in the day or Lomas but quite happy now. Hadn't thought about Simeon Jackson but that's a good shout.

• June 9, 2013 at 11:50

Don't know anything about the guy apart from what I have just read, but 6 goals in 30 games does not sound like a prolific goal scorer and the Swiss league is hardly Seria A. Also worried about injury problems mentioned and the after effects. Needless to say we do not need another crock on the wage bill.
    The only thing I can see going for him is that he will be cheap.
    As I say I am only going on what is written above.

• June 9, 2013 at 12:16

If we already had a 20 goal striker taking a risk on him wouldn't be quite so bad. But , with our strikers all single figure men , we really need a partnership of 30 goals. Tough decision and a gamble either way.

• June 9, 2013 at 12:35

I would sign Lafferty on the basis of what he showed at Burnley and Rangers. Lomas will know how to handle him. Will bring the best out of Keogh and / or Marquis.

• June 9, 2013 at 13:23

Just picking up on news about Lafferty none of us no to much about him , so had a little dig around , found out west ham tried to sign him 2 seasons back , for 2 million best season at rangers 15 goals , injury proned can be controversial , he wound up Neil Lennon Celtic boss and now can't score for toffee , what we got a striker who can't score goals and all ways on the treatment table , come on lomas we need more encouragement .

• June 9, 2013 at 13:33

I don't think Rafferty's scoring record at Rangers should be considered. My point being , an average centre forward would always get lots of goals playing for Celtic or Rangers because of the chances they create and very few games they lose. Look at Hooper from Scunthorpe to Celtic...

• June 9, 2013 at 15:22

Hooper is attracting bids of £7m+@Block 8:

• June 9, 2013 at 16:08

@fatcat: he may well be. What I mean is , average players look great in Scotland.

• June 9, 2013 at 16:38

@Block 8: Let's hope average managers don't look great in Scotland.

• June 9, 2013 at 14:55

Lomas has already said he wants to sign four or five mainly attack-minded players and I think Lafferty would be a good start. We badly need a target man to give us more options going forward and while his strike rate isn't sensational apparently he is a good link-man who creates a lot of chances for other people.
    He's not going to solve our chronic shortage of goals single-handedly, but would definitely improve our attacking options!

• June 9, 2013 at 17:00

At least he's not a 30 plus end of career loan player...... It's the Millwall Irish revolution .... So it is

• June 9, 2013 at 17:06

I hope this is not the start of the same old story. "We are interested in this player, we are interested in that player" but end up signing none of them. I don't want to know who we are interested in beforehand, I want to know who we have signed after they have put pen to paper. Anyway, he'll probably end up at Leicester now!!! .

• June 9, 2013 at 18:04

Not sure he's the answer but I guess SL will need some familiarity in the dressing room and people he can trust to do a job for him.
    Expect Murray Davidson to follow SL on a free. I really hope he don't get too excited with the budget he's been given as its more than double what he's been used to. Time will tell.

• June 9, 2013 at 18:43

I hope he is not the marque signing we had hoped for!

• June 9, 2013 at 18:49

He's a gamble. That's all Millwall can do...gamble.

• June 9, 2013 at 19:30

Pulling stunts like this wouldn't go down well..

• June 9, 2013 at 20:33

@billyd78: We don't want any of that sh1t at Millwall we have a bad enough time with the press as it is, but I suppose SL knows the score and feels he can handle the little s***.

• June 9, 2013 at 19:41

If he is cheap then worth the gamble.

• June 9, 2013 at 19:43

No, we don't need anymore lazy footballers.

• June 9, 2013 at 20:07

I'd say a marque signing is the last thing we need! I'd much rather have four or five ambitious players with raw talent and pace than some Championship jobs worth!!!

• June 9, 2013 at 20:17

@blk8:

Sounds like he would fit in will then . .

• June 10, 2013 at 10:45

It's started, Kenn Jackett want's Shane Lowry according to the Daily Mirror.

• June 10, 2013 at 10:48

Why he would want to drop down a division when presently he's first choice I don't know. Now, if it was Batt or N'Guessen.................
      @Peckhamlad:

• June 10, 2013 at 10:55

Why would he want to drop down a division? Money of course. Wolves could pay better wages and we know footballers' are in it solely for the cash - no other reason.

• June 10, 2013 at 11:02

Hmmm. I'm more inclined to think that going down a division is an acceptance that you're not good enough for the Championship.
          @lionking:

• June 10, 2013 at 11:45

@NICKOLA: Could just be paper-talk, best wait until SL takes charge, he has to be given a free reign to look at the team properly and decide who he wants and who he might wish to release.

• June 10, 2013 at 11:59

It's always paper talk and most of it is absolute crap. Just look at the names that were put forward for the manager's position for example. Our players are going to be linked with KJ because that's the nature of things. I know who I never want to see in Millwall colours again but Lowry isn't one of them.
          @Peckhamlad:

• June 10, 2013 at 10:57

Dont know too much about this bloke, but what i have read and seen of him he comes across like a bit of a d***...

Lomas states that he knows what we want from our team, pride, passion & effort etc which i make him right. He also states that he looks at the character of the player just as closely as he does his ability. So, some Pre Madonna turning up with a bit of a chip on his shoulder falling over all over the place is going to get cained and will make Lomas look like he doesn't know what he's talking about.

My point...I don't think Lomas will gamble with someone like Lafferty unless he is absolutely certain he is the right type.....

• June 10, 2013 at 11:42

@Windy: Windy I hope what you have said is not all he looks at, lets hope his is also looking at ability and potential of both new and those who are already at the club, because if he is only looking at passion & effort the Shaun Batt will be skipper next term.
      Lets hope as well as bring in some new blood he also tries to get a few quid for the ones that are just not up to it in this division.

• June 10, 2013 at 11:58

@Barnlion:
        He stated in an interview that although he looks at the ability of the player he also see's the players character as an important part in his decision process... which is right. We had some flakey f****** last year and your right about the current squad, we have players like Batt, Marquis, J.Smith that have the desire , passion etc but lack ability that he needs to make decisions on, which i think he will, i cant see this geezer pulling many punches do you??

• June 10, 2013 at 13:01

@Windy: Windy like what you are saying, the players that you have mentioned may have the passion but that alone wont win matches , also you thoughts on SL are spot on he was a hard so & so when he was a player, and he is not much older than a few in the squad so he will be more on there wave length and young enough to show them on the training ground.

• June 10, 2013 at 11:35

Is this site gonna be used by the club to weed out fans just like HoF because they want to express an opinion? I sincerely hope not.

• June 10, 2013 at 11:58

Cant see lowry goin to wolves. I think he'd be looking up rather than down a division being one of the better defenders in the championship.

• June 10, 2013 at 12:06

It hasn't made any official sources or the papers, so it could be all b*****ks. But there is a lot of chatter that West Ham MIGHT be in for J.Henry? It's worrying when you hear it from several different sources. Personally i think this would be a blow if true, Lomas should build a team around this fella. What do you think?

• June 10, 2013 at 12:21

@Windy: Henry should be part of a winning formula not the formula itself.

• June 10, 2013 at 12:29

@NO1LIKESUS:
        I appreciate that, but in every team there is a player or two that pull the strings and I cant see us being able to afford a creative player like Henry 'IF' he was to leave, like I said it could be all b*****ks.

• June 10, 2013 at 12:40

Henry is an excellent Championship player and someone we need to keep. Whether he could cut it in the Premiership is another matter. I'm Morison's biggest fan but he did struggle at Norwich and is now back in the Championship. I can't wait for Lomas to start and that will clear the mist.
          @Windy:

• June 10, 2013 at 13:08

@NICKOLA: Your right Nick cant see a prem side coming in for Henry he is not a bad player at our level but not consistant enough for the prem and he does pick up more than his fair share of injuries, does not get by the full back enough either and his crossing and corners well nuf said.

• June 10, 2013 at 13:28

Watched Henry enough to say we can get better than him! it was only last season that he did something same said for trotter 1 good season glad to let both go get some cash and bring in fresh Hungry players

• June 10, 2013 at 15:38

@Strood Lion:
      Think you guys are being a tad unfair..... its seems to me that both have lost their way due to whatever reasons, possible lost faith in KJ Who knows? but it wasn't long ago that Trotter was been touted about as one of the best midfielders in the championship and on his day is unplayable, same goes for Henry. I think their problem isn't their ability but their attitude, perhaps SL can sort them out.....

• June 10, 2013 at 23:05

@Windy: understand what your saying but attitude is jus lt a bonus s ability in comments lomas has made he said basically millwall spine of dunne shittu, robbo, jimmy but never mentioned trotter to me I think he has already been indentied as a "expensive luxury" to me don't care how good they ae of they don't wanna play, or roll sleeves up when they ain't at there best then f*** off and mke way for another wage to do a job

• June 10, 2013 at 13:35

Well, he has a higher goal ratio then Easter. Lets see what happens all just talk at moment..

• April 10, 2017 at 20:20

Amazing! This blog looks just like my old one! It's on a entirely different subject but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Superb choice of colors!