bestkinky

Exclusive: Lomas is "perfect" for Millwall, insists Sheringham

© Actionplus
© Actionplus

TEDDY Sheringham insists former West Ham captain Steve Lomas will relish the task of winning over Millwall fans after becoming the Lions' new manager.

Sheringham knows better than most about the bitter rivalry between the two sets of supporters, having played for both clubs during his career, but says Lomas will not be fazed by his move to The Den.

The 39-year-old, who is leaving SPL side St Johnstone to fill the vacant hotseat in South London, played alongside Sheringham for the Hammers in the 2004-05 season.

And Sheringham is tipping Lomas to be a success. He told NewsAtDen: "Those connections do not mean a lot to a player or a manager – you are a professional person that wants to do the best for the club that you are working for.

"I know he spent a long time at West Ham but his main team was actually Manchester City. He is renowned for a lot more things than West Ham.

"He is a real winner and he will not want to disappoint at Millwall. I don't think the fans should take the past into consideration. He'll want to do a fantastic job for them.

"Some people are not going to like it, but Steve will win them over. He will relish it. He'll be thinking, 'don't worry about what has gone on before, judge me on the job that I do here.' He is going to love it.

"He is a hard Northern Irishman – a man that knows what he wants. I just think he is perfect for Millwall. He's a down-to-earth man, there are no airs and graces about him, he loves the nitty gritty and getting in amongst everything.

"He will be itching to get stuck in straight away. I think it's a fantastic move for Millwall and a fantastic move for Steve. It's the perfect combination."

53 thoughts on “Exclusive: Lomas is "perfect" for Millwall, insists Sheringham

• June 7, 2013 at 13:06

Wise words frokm a wise man.

Players are employees with their bank balances and families never too far from their minds when it comes to who they ply their trade with. They are professionals paid to do a job.

• June 9, 2013 at 22:50

lets give f****** lomas a chance and get behind him. COME ON YOU LIONS!!

• June 7, 2013 at 13:09

More positive noises - SL definitely sounds like one of us!

• June 7, 2013 at 13:19

Sounds good to me.

• June 7, 2013 at 13:22

Perhaps all the effing and so on can stop now. Whats the point ? The board are happy. He is happy. So lets get behind him and stop slagging him off ...........give him a chance.

• June 7, 2013 at 13:25

Good luck to him, wanting him to fail is wanting Millwall to fail and we don't want that!

• June 7, 2013 at 13:50

Everything I've read about him is positive so I'm behind the guy! COYL

• June 7, 2013 at 13:53

Teddy's bang on. Now let's all give Lomas the warm welcome he deserves. He's one of us now.

• June 7, 2013 at 13:59

What a difference 24 hours makes, at last no desenting voice's lets hope this continues and he gets the backing of the supporters, all those who are going to tare there season tickets up now he has been appointed will need to find something else to do on Saturday afternoons in the future.

• June 7, 2013 at 14:13

The truth is, if we were offered £20k a week to play for the Spammers or those p***** the other side of SE London, we would do it. I hate Wet Spam as much as the next person but we should give Lomas a chance. He was just doing what he needed to do for his family!

• June 7, 2013 at 14:19

Onwards and upwards. COYL.

• June 7, 2013 at 14:40

At last we have some positivity coming through after so much of the opposite in these pages and elsewhere......Listen to what the pros are saying about SL, he is well thought of so we should listen. As for the anti WH at any cost brigade, what about Harry Cripps and Terry Hurlock etc,? Not so much anti then was there? We have to face up to the fact that we are badly supported and much of that is down to some of the hatred around the place. We have little money and that will continue until the crowds come back.....Let's get behind JB and the new manager, hope they do well and let us be proud of our club again instead of having to put up with all the bad publicity.

• June 7, 2013 at 15:27

I am actually getting quite excited about this appointment the more I read

• June 7, 2013 at 15:44

more good comments about steve , from a legend all we need now is bring super neil in, and all those doubters will be eating those silly comments they made . COYL

• June 7, 2013 at 15:55

@munson68:
      I've heard that he wants to stay at Southend and see out his final year before hanging up his boots...

• June 7, 2013 at 16:03

We'll always have a small minority who can't get over any West Ham connection. Just remember all the Judas nonsense on some sites about Teddy - probably the greatest player to ever wear a Millwall shirt. But for most of us, the West Ham stuff will soon be forgotten, especially if he starts getting results.

• June 7, 2013 at 16:41

Well said t s .. well glad wall found wot looks like a top man for the job .. so wot if he did play for wet spam !! .. I have wet spam, pal a***, trainspotters, chelski, yiddo's etc m8's .. they r still my m8's 1st n fall most n who gives 2 fracks wot team etc they support .. so lets give steve a fair crack of the whip & get behind him & stop slagging him off b4 he has even put a foot in the front door .. come on d wall 🙂

• June 7, 2013 at 16:45

Rumoured to be interested in Kyle Lafferty, the former Burnley and Rangers striker who is now playing in Switzerland

• June 10, 2013 at 03:03

@Lonz: I hope not as he is a lazy player and we already have too many of them. Would be better off saving our money and giving our youth payers a chance

• June 7, 2013 at 16:49

Bring on the transfer window

• June 7, 2013 at 17:28

One wet spam mug talking up another wet spam mug wot the f***
    Aaarrrrrrhhhhhhhhh got ya
    This morning I read south london press on way to work and it was a really good read I did find it strange that marcus bignot had a lot to say about lomas coming to us as he himself weren't exactly "millwall" although what he said surprised me as he obviously paid attention to us fans whilst sitting in the stands when injured but I'm much more gratefull to teddy's comments as yes he's the best millwall player in my time ( although he has p***** me off big time on a personal level )
    If we're to move on and get rid of the noose around our necks then I believe this to be the way forward and like the above posts I am feeling more and more comfortable and quietly excited about this decision.
    But the board have to stick to their word and back him financially and give him the time he needs especially when we suffer our first and second blip next season.
    Every cloud has a silver lining
    I feel good about this.

• June 9, 2013 at 10:43

@lukesmithmfc: can't agree with ts mate. For me it must be Cahill. But he is definitely one of the top five.

• June 9, 2013 at 18:09

@bonnie1272: opinions opinions are they wonderful things. Who's right who's wrong?

• June 10, 2013 at 03:17

@lukesmithmfc: yes agree that there were many better true millwall players than sheringham (Cripps, Stepney, King, Weller, Kitchener, Otalukoswki, Hurlock, Stevens, Harris to mention a few) . Looking forward to the next generation of Crawford, Hartley and Dair.

• June 10, 2013 at 08:53

@wappinglion: I never see stepney Kitchener cripps king or weller so I can not pass judgement on those players anton was good but I prefered towner. Stephens was ok but cause he was ever millwall that made him great. Yes I did love him before you think otherwise. Harris quality but I'd have Sherringham instead simply cause if the technical ability and what he achieved in the game. Hurlock - enough said.
            I think we're not far away from the "new gen" woolford and n'guessan no doubt will be accompanied by some crap over the coming weeks.

• June 10, 2013 at 18:21

@wappinglion: Have to agree with you on Tony Towner a very good winger and my favourite player in the late 70's.
            As for gingers new generation, Lafferty is a perfect fit as he couldn't hit a barn door and makes no-pulse look exceptional. Look forward to more conference standard quality Scots and Irish making their way south to the Capital.

• June 7, 2013 at 17:50

I'm gonna wish lomas All best and I'm sure he's got his eyes on some fresh faces we badly need I need to be won over so not gonna start slagging off let's keep our fingers crossed

• June 7, 2013 at 18:58

He's got something KJ never had, the nuts to challenge officials, he's got a big voice and will scream at players not pulling there weight, he drop players and take risks to win games, has identified we need 4 or five attacking players and JB said the funds are there, give him a chance might make the den a fortress again.

• June 7, 2013 at 19:19

@mewall62: The futures bright, the future is orange (or ginger) lol.

• June 7, 2013 at 19:19

We all know , that no matter who takes over we aint gonna become Barcelona. However , Lomas' work ethic will be exactly what we expect from all players. Look at our iconic players , Cripps , Kitchener , Hurlock and Harris etc. None were naturally gifted but were true , proper Millwall players. 110% week in week out and you can't fail in my eyes

• June 7, 2013 at 21:36

This is from a so called millwall man who when he joined wet spam said it was the team he supported as a boy, so pardon my French you greedy money grabbing w....r sheringham your opinion is not worth a w..k, lets give the bloke a chance & keep these so called ex millwall players away from millwall, he's not in the kitchener,crips ,rhino ,robinson mould true loyal Mfc men.

• June 7, 2013 at 23:02

@mfcjon:
      Those players have all been great Millwall men, especially the first three. They epitomised everything we want to see - not the most gifted, but gave 100% and took no crap. But if they were any more talented, there's little doubt they'd have been poached like every other decent player we've ever had.

Just like Terry Hurlock, another true Millwall man, but who left on the cheap as soon as we were relegated. Unlike Sheringham, who stayed on and scored 38 goals to nearly get us back up single-handed. Yes he moved on, but brought £2 million in to the club after serving eight brilliant years to break our goal-scoring record. If Sheringham isn't entitled to voice an opinion about Millwall, then very few people are.

• June 8, 2013 at 00:02

@Micky Lions: Too true, best player I've ever seen in a Millwall shirt, what wouldn't we give to have another Teddy now?

• June 8, 2013 at 10:08

@Micky Lions: I know I may have got this wrong but didn't Kitchener turn down a move to Everton because he wanted to carry on with us?
        I must be honest and say that I really didn't want Lomas here especially with the all the promise of the likes of Babble and co being mentioned BUT (and that's a BIG BUT - if we were allowed to make the font and point size any bigger to emphasise this I would) I have had a big turn of opinion of him. I, like most on here now, am actually looking forward to the start of the new season and so glad that I've bought a season ticket for the first time in years.

• June 8, 2013 at 10:53

@REAL Supporter: My sentiments exactly. Could be the kick up the a*** this club needs. I was a Jackett supporter and will always be grateful for what he has done for the club but even I have to admit he had gone stale and run out of ideas, of course we don't see what goes on behind the scenes and he was unlucky with injuries etc.
          Now really looking forward to next season. Even if we are still struggling I just want to see the fight, the pride and the passion restored and I will be happy. COYL

• June 8, 2013 at 11:14

@Sealion: Absolutely right. As someone said on here a few days ago. The King is dead. Long live the King.

• June 8, 2013 at 18:48

@REAL Supporter: The story was about Shankly at Liverpool wanting him - there was a funny video interview where Kitch admits it was all a wind-up.

Don't get me wrong - proper Millwall men like Kitch, Cripps and Rhino are what this club is all about, but we should never forgot just how brilliant Sheringham was as a Millwall player and what he did for the club.

• June 8, 2013 at 19:02

@Micky Lions: Ah, thanks for the correction. I met Kitch about a month before he died and will treasure that autograph for ever. Absolutely loved the man.

• June 8, 2013 at 00:51

@mfcjon: He was a West Ham fan as a kid and said so in his first interview when he signed for Forest. Greatest player we ever had and deserves more respect than he gets from Millwall fans, personal meetings aside (Luke Smith (-:))

• June 8, 2013 at 02:38

@lion.ie: as adsy and myself have stated the best player I've seen in a wall shirt.
        How anyone can say his opinion counts for nothing is beyond a joke even more so as he's a wet spam fan that alone entitled him to an opinion.

• June 8, 2013 at 01:52

Sick to death of the West Ham b*******. Who gives a f***?!? Bore off with your pointless negative tripe. It's 2013 and things have changed. If people really feel that passionately about the stupid rivalry and wanting to stick with the boring age old myth of wearing surgical masks, taking pubs and having a good tear up in the name of the club and gawd blimey govenor and all that b*******, you can f*** right off. Absolutely pathetic. Bunch of mongs in my eyes and these are the people that are driving the club into the ground. 'Let's throw a bottle at the linesmen because things aren't going our way' Leave off. My old man tought me if you can't settle an argument through conversation then you deserve a kicking.
    Football is a business, the people in charge with the money run the show and teddy has it bang on. Lomas isn't here to fail. He once played for West Ham, now he manages Millwall. So instead of holding some pointless grudge, get over it. Us sensible people couldn't give a monkeys.

• June 8, 2013 at 09:01

@Evertheoptomist: sorry Evertheoptomist but you are wrong. If you don't agree with the Millwall vs West Ham rivalry that's your opinion, but you can't just paint over it like it doesn't exist, BECAUSE IT DOES, always has and always will whether you like it or not. I don't get upset by ex players saying stuff like some do, and I don't take offence as deeply as some do, but go and tell the family and the bloke who got stabbed outside upton park a while back in the cup game that 'the rivalry is all b*ll*cks' and see what they say. Your opinion is yours and no-one can take that from you, but don't assume the bitterness has faded with time my man, cos it aint.

• June 8, 2013 at 02:53

Just a thought
    It'd be nice to know what the club captain, team captain and the other senior pro's have to say on this as I remember a certain mr Dunne stating the club need to go for experience. I know they're on their hols and no doubt they can't exactly say they're unhappy with it, but would be nice all the same.

• June 8, 2013 at 09:59

Wet Spam?.....Spammers?.......Hampsters?
    Good grief.

• June 8, 2013 at 11:09

who cares what he thinks. After earning all that fame and money he should had came home and played for us not that lot over the water. That the thanks he gave us so bugger off under that stone Sherri. Now all I want to read is what players are going and coming . So come on Lomas win us over, what a laugh. Anyone who signs up for the wall and commits his self 100% will get my support. I want success not in house fighting.
    Ps what about Saturday night kick off time say 7pm so other shift workers can get down more often. I was only able to see a handful of games because of working shifts The old days of ending work on Saturday about noon have finished. what workers don't now work on Saturdays just to earn a living.

• June 8, 2013 at 11:18

Going off on a tangent and to get away from this Wet Spam thing, someone sent me this the other day. Check out the link below.

Enjoy.

• June 8, 2013 at 16:25

That's f****** hilarious!!!!! Great link RS. Have a butchers...

• June 8, 2013 at 12:08

Teddy said some decent things about Millwall on goals on sunday recently and clearly has fond memories of the club. The bloke is a Wall legend so if he says Lomas is a good appointment that will do for me. Roll on 2013-14 season. COYL

• June 8, 2013 at 14:58

Teddy Sheringham talks sense as always, I cant wait for the start of next season or to see who SL brings to the club. The past is past and it is pointless to keep going on about it. Millwall and the supporters must move on.. Fresh blood, new ideas is just what the club needs. next season is going to be tough with the likes of QPR and Wigan in the league with the potential of many exciting games.

• June 8, 2013 at 19:34

F*** Sheringham and his views. Players cannot know they cannot know how supporters feel.

• June 9, 2013 at 11:51

I have heard from a reliable source that Harris IS coming back to Millwall in the next couple of weeks as Lomas' assistant. It don't look too bad now does it! 🙂

• June 10, 2013 at 09:06

@KennedyNOLU: Kennedy if you are right this will go a long way to make the fans happy, but what will make them really happy will be the good results during the season, that the new management team hopefully start to achive, lets hope the board have got the right balance in there new team management.
      With good results and a bit of good football and players who look like they want to be here, the crowds should start to return to the Den, but only time will tell but lets hope so.