bestkinky

Millwall confirm appointment of Lomas as new manager

© Actionplus
© Actionplus

MILLWALL have confirmed they will unveil Steve Lomas as their new manager next week after agreeing personal terms with the 39-year-old.

Lomas, who was given permission to begin formal talks with the Lions by his club St Johnstone yesterday, will sign a 12-month rolling contract at The Den.

He leaves the Scottish Premier League club after 18 months in charge and having guided the Saints to Europa League qualification in successive seasons.

The former Northern Ireland international told the club's official site: "This is a really exciting challenge for me and I can't wait to get stuck into it.

"I know Millwall well as a club. It has a great set up and passionate loyal fans who, if we can get them on our side, particularly at The Den, will be a real asset to us.

"There is already a nucleus of a good squad there, with the likes of David Forde, Paul Robinson, Alan Dunne, Danny Shittu and Jimmy Abdou, proper players and good characters, and those are the sort of people we need and the Millwall fans respond to.

"I know there is a good group, but we will need to add four or five, particularly in attacking areas and then I think we'll be ready to give it a real go. In making signings I will be looking for character and the right type of player as well as ability.

"The Championship is a great league, exciting, very competitive, passionate, full-on and while we'll be underdogs against many of the clubs we face, that's the way I like it.

"Our first priority is to turn the recent home form around. I found the same when I arrived at St Johnstone – good away, less so at home and we worked to get that right. That's my number one goal again now."

Given that Lomas spent eight years of his playing career at bitter rivals West Ham, six of them as captain, some Lions fans have reacted with scepticism to news of his appointment.

But he said: "Millwall is a family club, a working class club whose fans hold it very dear to their hearts. I've already been asked, what's an ex-Hammer doing managing them, then?

"The answer is that I was a council estate kid, I love a challenge, I like hard work and I understand the fans who work hard all week and come to see Millwall on a Saturday expecting to see their team play with pride and passion.

"I am grateful for the responsibility of helping deliver that for them. For those who have their doubts, it is up to me to show by my actions, and more importantly, by our results, that they can believe in me."

38 thoughts on “Millwall confirm appointment of Lomas as new manager

• June 6, 2013 at 20:19

bo##ocks

• June 6, 2013 at 20:19

to the 'fans'. GIVE THE BLOKE A CHANCE! 3rd place in the SPL with bloody St Johnstone! forget he's vermin. And support the team and the club, he is what we need. Has passion and will bring the Millwall fight back, which we last towards the end of last season.

COYL!

• June 6, 2013 at 20:22

At last!! It might not be what we all want but give the guy sometime he might just do well COYL

• June 6, 2013 at 20:28

Why a 12 month contract of JB thinks he's the one then back him !! I am willing to give him a chance so on we go .......

• June 6, 2013 at 20:29

Welcome Mr Lomas. Looking forward to a fresh start under your leadership. 2 decent strikers , senior pros on long term contracts and we'll be fine.

• June 6, 2013 at 20:36

Lets hope he gets to work ASAP we need a few new players and get rid of a few! COYL

• June 6, 2013 at 20:37

at last we have a manager , who cares where he was as a player , thats past , lets get behind him and judge him on his results , like jb he was as keen as mustard to come , so lets just see the 12 month contract is a good move for us , look how much it has cost blackburn with 3 or 4 year contracts to prev managers, whether you like him or not , he has a list of players so lets just see , welcome my lomas me and boys will be right behind you .

• June 6, 2013 at 20:39

Hope everyone gives the man the chance he deserves! At least one new striker please Steve, And Preferably a good one!

• June 6, 2013 at 20:39

Twelve month rolling contract makes perfect sense - club's like Millwall simply can't afford to gamble financial. If they'd given him a five year deal and it went t*ts up, we'd be knackered.

• June 6, 2013 at 20:43

@Lonz: understand that but also mean you lose out ie Taylor - just think seeing as he's come out and given him the backing a 12 month contract is a bit limp ??

If he's s*** we sack him yes and pay out f*** all but what if he does well and then poached for f*** all .....

• June 6, 2013 at 21:59

@Millwall1979: if he didnt like it he wouldn't have signed it

• June 6, 2013 at 20:42

F off lomas not going next year end of ..........

• June 6, 2013 at 20:43

PS: Brilliant comments from JB, struck exactly the right tone.

• June 6, 2013 at 20:43

Good luck Mr Lomas. Let's get the show on the road.

• June 6, 2013 at 20:43

Let's back the bloke. Yes he played for WHU but at the time he did not envisage being a boss at all let alone our boss. It's his past and he can't be hung drawn and quartered for that surely.

Good luck. The problem remains that with the WHU past he has little wriggle room and really needs to start well or the fans will ruin him.

• June 6, 2013 at 20:50

Before I say my piece, let me point out that the West Ham thing is a load rubbish. It is just an excuse for the likes of the Wembley W**kers to have a ruck. I will still go down to the Den and watch the team I have supported since I was a boy, but it will be with a heavy heart. I am gutted with this appointment. We have heard all this rubbish before. Great manager on a small budget in Scottish league. that was Jimmy Nicholls headline. Young manager with energy and a real passion and has identified who he wants to sign, that was Nigel Spackmans headline. Will really have a presence in the dressing room, that was David Tuttles headline. Even if it was only for 18 months, we needed somebody to stabilise after all, just staying up with 56 points wasn't that awful. We had only 1 point less than the previous season. I desperately hope I'm wrong JB but I fear you have made a massive mistake.

• June 6, 2013 at 20:59

Lots has been said about the appointment of Lomas and lots will be said. Nicholl and the Scottish league is my worry but, unlike Nicholl, Lomas has fairly recent experience of the English leagues which I hope will set him apart from Nicholl. As for the West Ham thing, he may not have been a success here but didn't Billy Bonds sign both Neil Harris and Tim Cahill!?! If Lomas can do something similar now, he could get us on the right track. Let's give him, the Board and the club a chance!!!!!!!!!!!

• June 6, 2013 at 21:00

I think we're be ok to be honest. By that I mean a 8th to 12th finish. Can't believe people are prepared not to go home games cos Lomas was a West Ham player. If we had to ground share with West Ham I'd still renew my season ticket. Would we want playing staff or manager who walked if they couldn't get their own way ? I think not

• June 6, 2013 at 21:10

Steve Lomas, Millwall Manager. He's one of us now. In our dugout fighting for our cause. To those who don't like it, you're well entitled to your opinion and I hope he wins you over because we need you lot at The Den making noise. For me it's now all about pre season and getting those five or so players in and having a right go at the league with a bit of Millwall spirit.

• June 6, 2013 at 21:36

@Swanny: This!!! He is now Millwall. Back him or sack him.

Silly banners saying f*** off are pathetic. If he has the talent we are being told he has then all should be ok. Budget permitting.

• June 6, 2013 at 21:11

I am nailing my flag to this, welcome Steve show them what you got and they will come round. Great signing for the club and hope he negotiated a 3 year extension if he hits his first year targets.

• June 6, 2013 at 22:13

@glyngo: if you didnt already know. a 12 month rolling contract means he'll always be on a 12 month rolling contract even if he's here for four yrs he won't have to renew every yr unless the club decide to break it in which case they'll have to pay him the remainder of the yr. it's a very good safety net for us with an appointment such as this.

• June 6, 2013 at 21:12

What a breath of fresh air. If he can already see we need 5 players then he's the right man for the job.

• June 6, 2013 at 21:12

He knows he will get stick because he is an West Ham player yet he still has the balls to take the job. That in itself says something for his character and that will reflect in the type of players he will sign. Trotter for one will have to pull his socks up and show a bit more passion. He reminds me a bit of Alex Rae and I think we will see an entirely playing style than we have for the last couple of seasons under Jackett.

• June 6, 2013 at 21:15

Let's give the bloke f****** chance before c****** him off left right and center.

Come on Lomas, top ten finish please and a double over QPR & Charlton

COYL

• June 6, 2013 at 21:17

@Reg Burrs Coat Peg:
      So shocked that c****** wasn't blocked, though I'd test it out
      f***
      c***
      s***
      w***
      p***
      b*******
      t***
      c******
      b*********
      s*******
      p******
      t******

• June 6, 2013 at 21:22

Appointing a manager is always a gamble and the chances of it paying off aren't helped by fans demanding instant success.
    Pressure from fans and the financial implications of relegation mean the average life expectancy of a Championship manager is just 15-months.
    Those fans warning that 'the knives will be out for him' if he loses three or four games early on should wake up and smell the roses.
    I was working for a local newspaper when John Docherty was appointed and I've still got a stack of letters from supporters slaughtering him for being a useless Jock tw*t and branding me a pathetic club lackey for backing him (in much more colourful language),
    I seem to recall that appointment didn't work out too badly!!!!

• June 6, 2013 at 21:26

I support the team, I support the club, millwall is part of who i am, i am to emotionally attached to turn my back, I'm not happy about this, so good luck Lomas I think you might need it, especially in the first few months.

• June 6, 2013 at 21:39

I am a life long Millwall supporter and have no love what so ever for those Dicks from accross the Thames, however, I do feel that the guy needs to be given a little bit of encouragement and a chance to prove what he says is from the heart, it must have taken a lot of balls to take the job with his background. So come on the doubters lets get behind him and the team and wish them all the best for the comming season. That took a lot for me to say that, but I love my Wall and will never defect, no matter who is in charge. The guy has a passion to succeed and so do I, so lets AVVV ITTTTTT COYL!!!!!!

• June 6, 2013 at 21:43

Personally I think we all have to wipe the slate clean he is Our manager therefore one us now, we all have to get behind him, the team and the board if we want to have success. Yes he played for WHU but now he is a manager and will hopefully do the job. as for those that are saying "im not going next season" i think your making a mistake becuase we dont know whats going to happen we have to welcome him with open arms

Steve welcome to Millwall i wish you the best of luck and you have my backing

• June 6, 2013 at 22:51

I like Lomas's rhetoric, he knows where Millwall supporters come from, that it is he rightly says a Working Class club whose fans expect hard work and are passionate. He comes from a working class background as well. I hope he can bring the best out of the team. He already recognises the team needs 4 or 5 new players especially forwards. Obviously he has been promised some spending money from the board. I hope all the fans will get behind him and the team. Good luck.

• June 6, 2013 at 22:52

Making the right noises, so far so good.
    Welcome Steve.
    COYL.

• June 6, 2013 at 22:59

Lets give him a chance he may have played for the vermin but if he gets us moving in the right direction will he be the best thing since sliced bread and if he outs the dead wood and keeps the players that wear the shirt with pride and gives it their all then its ok by me

• June 6, 2013 at 23:39

A pal of mine at work who just happens to be a spammer said to me today that the spammer fans are saying that he is dead to them for taking the job, so welcome steve, good luck mate. COYL!!!!

• June 7, 2013 at 16:34

To all those who are going to rip up their season tickets, do yourself's a favor......... Pack up your job, sell your house, move the family to another country and listen to the games on Lions player. You'll soon find out what your missing. Get down the Den, tell the world the "No one likes us" and if you back SL maybe he'll take us to the promise land. COYL