Exclusive: Taylor to move on after rejecting Millwall offer

© Keith Gillard
© Keith Gillard

MILLWALL chairman John Berylson has revealed that Chris Taylor is poised to leave the club this summer after rejecting a new contract.

The Lions set Taylor a deadline of Monday afternoon to agree terms on a two-year deal but the 26-year-old communicated via his agent that he would not be taking up that offer.

Taylor had been set to put pen-to-paper prior to Kenny Jackett's shock resignation last week. Reports suggest Blackburn Rovers are now in pole position to secure his signature.

Berylson told NewsAtDen: "I'm sorry to see him go because he was a very fine player and a Millwall type. I liked him but it's over. The fact that he's gone means that our new manager has more funds, which isn't a terrible thing either.

"There are plusses and minuses here. We have lost Chris, that's a negative, but the positive is our new manager will have more wiggle room in his budget.

"I knew he wanted to wait and see who the new manager was and I am in no hurry to make an appointment. I wasn't going to make that decision in order to get Chris to sign.

"I was not surprised when he chose not to sign – it may only have been 50-50 if he knew who the new manager was. Giving him that option would have put us in a funny position."

Taylor made 26 appearances, scoring three goals, for Millwall last season after arriving from Oldham on a 12-month deal.

95 thoughts on “Exclusive: Taylor to move on after rejecting Millwall offer

• May 13, 2013 at 16:00

Iam proud to be the first to comment on this. If you don't want to be here then f*ck off. Take Danny with you cos you both would have signed by now. You're not real Millwall. Yes Iam bitter and angry and yes I may be wrong but I don't care its my opinion. F*ck off if your heart aint in it. I damn well knew it ! Or you would have signed weeks ago. F*ck ya.

• May 13, 2013 at 16:14

@Marshlion: Well said. Was he really that good anyway or the better of a bad bunch? Injury prone too. We can do better. Same goes for Shittu in my eyes, watched Wes Morgan yesterday, same type of player but a different class, more mobile, better positional sense, knows when to stick or twist at centre half as well. Not saying Shittu is no good and he certainly has a Millwall attitude but he is an average Championship defender.

• May 13, 2013 at 20:53

Bang on mate! We done him a massive favour taking him on. He was going nowhere and dying on his a*** at Oldham and no one had ever f****** heard of him he's played out half his contract due to injury and has no sense of paying the club back with any kind of loyalty. You can go and do a Dave Martin mate. And to any others in there looking about, don't be ashamed to put your hand up and ask to go cause we don't want you here. None of you are that f****** special and you can easily be replaced. To put it into contrast Battman has missed almost his entire contract to date, got farmed out and still came back with a smile on his face running through walls for the shirt. I'll have 9 more of him please JB knowing that they are having a go for us punters win lose or draw, that's all we ask. THERE'S A LION ON YOUR CHEST BOYS NOT A F****** MOUSE OR A POUND SIGN. Get this f****** manager in pronto and let's f****** have some next season.

• May 13, 2013 at 22:17

@Swanny: With you there Swanny, nicely put sums up my feelings too.

• May 14, 2013 at 08:16

@Swanny: Swanny I agree with nearly all of your post, but as far as 9 more Shaun Batt's yes he does seem to be proud to wear the shirt but he does not seem to be good enough at this level, which is a shame because he is a trier and gives it his all when on the pitch. But all the rest spot on IMO.

• May 14, 2013 at 08:03

Why did Jacket leave..... was not happy with our youth policy bringing on players then letting them go to other clubs, This has happened Year after Year
      3 Youth players now are not signing forms to go pro as they have been tapped up by other clubs with more money .......Were is Conner wilkinson, Ask dougie Freedman.
      1) No youth players coming through Fact ( player signing for rival clubs)
      2) No money from the board to spend on new players Fact ( Woods ect)
      3) Good Players we have wont sign new contracts Fact (taylor shittu ect ect)
      4) Marc birch seen at the club and training ground this and last week,

It aint hard to work out why anything good we have is leaving us. All we can do is hope that the board pick the right man to take on a very hard job.
      long live mfc

• May 13, 2013 at 16:00

That's a sad blow for us and, for me, was one of KJ's best buys, imo, and will doubtless start the exodus that we all expected after KJ's departure. I don't blame Chris Taylor and wish him luck. Who'll be next , I wonder?

You must have an active subscription to view further comments and leave your own.